I'm challenging myself to...

finally start using some of the 4587034589million recipes I've been collecting to try out...

I was flipping through this beast of a recipe collection and decided I've got to get cooking.
I've been saving recipes from websites, friends, and magazines for close to 10 years now.
I haven't sorted through it in a while and let me tell you:
it's a scary mess!

Caleb wanted me to bake him some bread today so I sat out on the back porch and went through quite a few recipes before settling on an English muffin recipe.
The piece of paper shows that I printed it out in March of 2005.
That's making me feel old.
Really old.

So anyways...
I whipped up a loaf.
The recipe makes 2, but I halved it just in case I didn't like it.

It's way yum!

English Muffin Bread
-------

Makes 2 loaves

5 c. all purpose flour
2 envelopes of yeast
4 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 c. milk
1/2 c. water
cornmeal

In a large bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
Heat the milk and water to 120-130 degrees.
Gradually add to flour mixture.
Beat 2 minutes at medium speed in a mixer.
Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
Spoon batter into 2 loaf pans that have been greased and dusted with cornmeal.
Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
Bake 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

Comments

  1. That does look like a beast of a recipe notebook, but a familiar beast. I have one at my house. Any plans for making it more manageable?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts