What I've been up to lately



I've made 3 big batches this week of freezer spaghetti sauce.
I came across this recipe recently and decided to give it a try.
It tastes so good yall!

I think I made somewhere between 15-20 quart size jars full of sauce.
I don't know how to can stuff yet...so for now I'll stick with freezer recipes.
I've also been stocking up the freezer with individually bagged chopped veggies that I've been getting on sale at various grocery stores lately (from the "going bad" section). For instance, this week I bought about 10-15 pounds of tomatoes for less than $6 total, because they only had a little bit of life left in them. So I cut them up right away and made big batches of spaghetti sauce and a big batch of chili.
I also got 2 big bags full of green peppers (about 15 of them total) for $2. 
Normally at Kroger they want $2.50 EACH for peppers (and that's for the non-organic ones too!).
So I chopped and chopped and bagged up each one to freeze. Now I have months worth of onions, mushrooms, celery, and peppers waiting to be used, and all for less than $10!

I also made a HUGE batch (I tripled the recipe) of refried beans. I like beans; I don't love them, so...I'd never cooked dry beans before. In fact, I've only ever just opened up a can of them *embarrassed cough* 
So I learned lots of stuff this week in the kitchen, like how to make your own liqueurs! But that's a post for another day.

Comments

Popular Posts