Gluten Free Honey Oatmeal Yeast Bread


Growing up one of my favorite breads from our local bakery was their whole wheat honey oat bread. I think it may have had various seeds in it too (which would be great in this recipe!).
I remember how good it tasted fresh and warm out of their ovens and slathered in butter.
Oh! And the smell!!! Amazing!

So I played around with a few recipes and made modifications and came up with this "whole wheat" honey oat bread. I'm sure you could successfully use white rice flour, but I chose to try using the brown rice flour since it tends to impart a heavier nuttier flavor that I was looking for.
 Like I said, I bet seeds would be a great addition just stirred into the batter.
Oh, and did I mention it only has one rise? So you can whip this up rather quickly for yeast bread.

This bread came out to be SUCH a good imitation. My kids and husband inhaled it and said you would never know it was gluten free. That made me happy!
I've got a great bread recipe for a gluten free sourdough bread. It is equally easy to make and very good, but it tends to only be good toasted the following day, as it gets a little more crummy.

However, this bread was just as good the following day!
I'm curious to try freezing a loaf and see how it thaws.
My kids loved it both warm with butter and toasted up to make peanut butter toast (with some chocolate chips sprinkled on top, of course!).




The dough rose up beautifully within only about a half hour!



Gluten-free Honey Oat Bread  
makes 1 standard size loaf

4 cups of old fashioned oats (ground finely in a blender or food processor)
2 scant tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour 
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs 
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (plus more for sprinkling on the top)
Combine the yeast, honey, and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer and let sit for a few minutes. Add the oil, arrowroot flour/starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, ground oats, salt, eggs, and whole unground oats and beat until combined. eggs. Beat for two minutes, until fluffy.

Pour into a well greased 9" x 5" inch loaf pan (standard size) and s
prinkle the top of the batter with some oats. Cover loaf with plastic wrap and allow it to rise for about 45 minutes until doubled. You want it just barely peaking out over the top edge of the loaf pan.  

 
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Bake for about 45 minutes.

Let cool in loaf pan 5-10 minutes. Turn it out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool a little bit before cutting.




Comments

Popular Posts