Time For More Homemade

Whenever possible I try to avoid fake stuff in food. And icky stuff. And overly processed stuff. And stuff that is so icky I can't even pronounce it. That was all so educated sounding of me. Yes, I was homeschooled ;)

Anyways, what I'm really trying to say is that I feel like every time I go to the grocery store to make a purchase I discover that the item I want to buy has all kinds of gross added things in it.
Like the other day I went to Kroger to buy beef broth / stock to use in a butternut squash stew I'm making for dinner. I read the label on all of the cans, bottles, and boxes of beef broth and every single brand had pure junk in them.
So I disgustedly left that aisle and walked straight over to the meat counter to ask the butcher what sort of bone-in beef I should purchase in order to make my own stock. He kindly pointed out just what I should buy.
I make homemade chicken broth and stock all the time to keep in the freezer, but for some reason I've never tried beef. It's fun to have new things to try!

Other ways things you can make at home and control what goes in them:
chicken stock
homemade marshmallows made without corn syrup
I made these for my sisters' bridal shower a few weeks ago. They are SO yummy!

Bisquick substitute
today I was making some sausage balls for Caleb and I was reading the ingredients on the Bisquick box.
Not good stuff yall!
Next time I'm trying this recipe above.  

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

I've been making this for over a year now and I love it!
This is not your typical "mix milk with lemon juice or vinegar".
This is actual rich and creamy buttermilk.

make your own mayo


spreadable butter
so many butter spreads at the store are filled with all kinds of strange things!
mixing up cream with a stand mixer makes for a wonderful spreadable butter that you can keep in your fridge.


make your own yogurt (even if you don't have a yogurt maker).
I've been making my own yogurt for about 4 years now.

made without dry milk powder

Misto Oil Sprayer
Have yall seen the stuff that's in sprays like Crisco?
I bought one of these Misto sprayers last year and I love it!
Now I can use Olive Oil or any other non soy based oil for non stick cooking. 


Comments

Popular Posts