The Nursery

Oops ... it was recently pointed out to me that I hadn't done a blog post in forever and ever. So to update...3 weeks from today is my due date! Everything is going well and we're planning for a home birth, which I'm so excited about and I just love my midwife.  

Caleb and I have mostly been busy working on getting the nursery ready for Baby.  Caleb has done some AMAZING woodworking projects for me and I'm in love with everything. He has really outdone himself and I'm excited to show you some of the stuff he's built me. 

The only things we have left to buy for the nursery is a crib, but I don't feel pressured about that since for now we have a nice bassinet for the baby to sleep in.

Caleb built a tiny side table and a wall shelf that will need to be painted. Hopefully, I will get pictures of those  up soon.
Anyways...here's some of what we've been working on in the baby's room:

Caleb built me this twin size day bed for the nursery.  
It came out really beautifully and he kept the simplistic lines that I wanted, but added a little bit of detailing on the ends using his router tool. 


I just wanted some inexpensive and easily changed out artwork for over the day bed. I hung up string with vintage looking wooden thumb tacks from Walmart and then I followed this tutorial from Raising Oranges on how to dye clothes pins with food coloring. I was so pleased with how they came out! I bought some different printable digital files from Etsy sellers so hang up on the wall.
I just love this idea, because I can change the art out as frequently as I would like. 



We were given a monetary gift from my parents a few months ago to put towards buying something we wanted for the nursery and we chose a rocking chair. Walmart.com had a great deal on one (and free site to store shipping), and I ordered the beige colored slipcover to go with it.

My mom had these 2 "Classic Pooh" Winnie the Pooh prints hanging in my nursery when I was a baby. They are dated 1957. The frames were a rust color and I painted them a smoke gray color to compliment the changing table.

I sewed a little dog bed for Betty to keep in the nursery.
It has cute little blue birds sitting on red and white mushrooms.

A cute vintage whale toy that a friend gave us and a little bunny rabbit print I put in a small vintage frame.

Caleb built me this very simple but functional book shelf / toy box storage unit for the nursery closet. 

We painted the inside of the closet a nice green color. It hadn't been painted since we moved in and the interior of the closet still had red toned stained woodworking (typical 1950's) and dirty beige paint. 

Last year at the flea market we picked up this old drink bucket for only $5, and after giving it a good cleaning I had Caleb attach castors to the bottom of it to turn it into a rolling toy bin. 

 A while back I'd seen a picture online of a nursery with a wooden cloud mobile hanging over the crib. I really loved it and when I looked at the prices people wanted on Etsy for wooden mobiles, I knew it wasn't going to be in our budget. Sooooo...being the spoiled girl I am lol I sweetly asked Caleb if he'd build a mobile for me. I'm so pleased with how it came out!

The crib will be in front of the window and below the mobile (duh!).
The cream colored shag rug is one we got on clearance at Lowe's many months ago. It is the perfect size for the nursery, super soft, and well made. It was a regular $100 marked down to $39. 

Caleb and I bought this large vintage wall clock a year or two ago at an antique fair. I think we got it for only $20 or so. It works perfectly! 

Ok...and now on to my favorite piece that Caleb made me : 

This gorgeous changing table!
It is by far his best piece to date. He put so many hours into making it for his little boy. Pictures just don't do it justice. It was made from scrap wood and Caleb did so much beautiful detail work on it. He routered it with rounded drawer edges and a pretty detailed paneled look. It's a really nice heavy solid type piece of furniture. He also was very forward thinking and made the top to be removable in the future, if ever we wanted to use it as something besides a changing table.

We got all the pulls and knobs from the Martha Stewart line at Home Depot. They were a really good deal at only $3 each. They are a sort of antique pewter looking metal with light pitting to the metal to give them a sort of distressed look. 

The side panel Caleb made with the router.

It gives lots of storage for the cloth diapers we're planning on using, as well as other baby things.


Caleb and I are just so pleased with how the nursery has turned out so far :)





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts