Low Sugar Blackberry Jam Recipe



Recently while visiting my parent's house my dad brought home loads of the biggest blackberries I've ever seen! They were local and SO delicious. 

Since we had so many I decided to try making some blackberry jam. You could use this recipe to make any berry jam, but it was particularly good with the blackberries. It is a good low sugar recipe.
 I used organic cane sugar, but you could use honey for really tasty results. 
This was just about the easiest and fastest recipe I've ever canned.

Also, if I can just say: I went to the local Dollar General and I'd no idea they had canning stuff. Anyways, they had these ADORABLE mason jars in various sizes. They are very vintage looking and at $8 for a set of 12 jars, I couldn't have been happier! It saved me a trip into town and having to go to Walmart. 


Blackberry Jam

6 cups of berries
1 box of low sugar pectin (all natural Pomonas Pectin here)
2 1/2 cups organic cane sugar (divided)
1 tsp. vanilla extract 

In a small bowl mix pectin with 1/2 cup of sugar. Set aside.
*If using Pomonas brand pectin then follow box instructions*
In a stock pot mash berries with a potato masher over medium heat.
Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and add the pectin mixture.
Boil at a rolling boil for 2 minutes.
Add remaining 2 cups of sugar.
Boil 1 minute.
Remove from heat and add in 1 tsp vanilla extract.

Ladle into hot sterile jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
OR
Keep fresh in the fridge for a week, or so.
IF it lasts that long!

Try it on my favorite gluten free bread recipe for honey oatmeal yeast bread (recipe here).











Comments

Popular Posts